An innovative new way to measure the health of XLPE cable.
A state-of-the-art, non-destructive measurement system for the dependable assessment of medium voltage distribution cables is now available through Energy Ottawa. We have partnered with the National Research Council (NRC), the Government of Canada’s premier research and technology organization, to help diagnose the health of XLPE cables without causing damage to the cable.
Energy Ottawa has been featured in:
- Western Energy – Spring 2017 edition
- EDA – The voice of Ontario’s Electricity Distributers
- Transmission & Distribution World
Come visit us at the following events:
Improving Critical Infrastructure
This unique, on-site diagnostic service determines the health of XLPE underground cables while preserving their integrity. Based on the DC Polarization/Depolarization Current Measurement principle, it’s a non-destructive method that applies a maximum of 30% of the cable’s voltage rating. Other health diagnostic tests often apply 150% of the cable’s voltage rating, further stressing the cables and accelerating their deterioration.
Cable deterioration leads to system failure and poor reliability. Our cable testing allows utilities to easily measure the health of their systems and insure against premature, costly replacements. Proper planning ensures that investments made today will provide lasting value into the future.
Key Benefits and Features
- Provides a quick, easy and reliable method to conduct on-site cable testing and measurements
- Preserves cable integrity during testing
- Delivers value through deferred replacement costs and offers significant ROI
- Improves asset management strategy
- Enhances reliability through extended cable lifespan by an average of 5-10 years
- Software is user-friendly, readily accommodating the training of new operators
- Test equipment is contained in a van for ease of transport, access and maintenance on-site
How to Get This Service
- Minimum 1-year period
- Terms up to 5 years, with renewal options
- Up to 1 year pilot testing, then contract long-term
- Service delivery provided by vendor or end-user
- Fee-based training and support provided
- Contracted pilot at cost
- Fixed price service contracts
- Vendor training and service delivery support available for a fee
- Price is negotiable based on scope
“Merging NRC world-class metrological expertise and Hydro Ottawa capabilities in long term asset management has led to the development of a state-of-the-art, non-destructive measurement system, for dependable assessment of medium voltage distribution cables”
Dr. Alan Steele –Chief Metrologist, National Research Council Canada.
Get in Touch
For more information about Energy Ottawa’s Non-Destructive Cable Testing Service, including a no-obligation pilot, please contact:
General Manager, Infrastructure Management
Tel. 613-738-5499 | ext. 7152