OTTAWA, March 7, 2014 – Hydro Ottawa has been awarded a 40-year contract to expand Chaudière Falls that will reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide clean electricity to Ontario for years to come.
The Power Purchase Agreement, administered by the Ontario Power Authority (OPA), will result in the construction of a new 29-megawatt (MW) facility – enough clean energy to power 20,000 homes for a year. This will increase Hydro Ottawa’s hydroelectric capacity to 58 MW.
Hydro Ottawa (under its subsidiary, Energy Ottawa) applied for the contract under the OPA’s Hydro Electric Standard Offer Program (HESOP) Municipal Stream in November 2013. It plans to start construction in 2015.
- The renewable power produced at the facility will feed into the provincial grid and will reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 115,000 metric tons of CO2 per year.
- Development of the new facility will create upwards of 150 high-quality jobs in the construction industry.
- Hydro Ottawa’s renewable energy facilities include six hydroelectric stations at Chaudière Falls and landfill gas-to-energy plants at the Trail Road and Laflèche Landfills. Together, these facilities help to reduce greenhouse gases by almost 300,000 metric tons of CO2 per year.
- Hydro Ottawa is Ontario’s largest municipally owned producer of green power.
“Waterpower is a vital component of Ontario’s clean energy supply mix. The Chaudière Falls facility will contribute to Ontario’s clean, modern and reliable electricity system while creating local jobs and increasing revenue for Hydro Ottawa.”
– Bob Chiarelli, Ontario Minister of Energy
“Investing in clean, sustainable and innovative growth opportunities with our customer top-of-mind is paramount for Hydro Ottawa. This exciting expansion project will provide reliable, clean electricity for the province for years to come while contributing to sustainable energy production and job growth in Ottawa.”
– Bryce Conrad, President and Chief Executive Officer, Hydro Ottawa
“The growth of Chaudière Falls is an important development as it will provide more clean power for today and for tomorrow. We are proud that Ottawa is home to this historic and innovative facility.”
– Jim Watson, Mayor of Ottawa
Supervisor, Media and Public Affairs
Tel: 613-738-5499 ext. 145
Office of Minister Chiarelli
About Hydro Ottawa
Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc. (Hydro Ottawa) owns and operates two subsidiary companies, Hydro Ottawa Limited and Energy Ottawa Inc. Hydro Ottawa Limited is the third-largest municipally owned electrical utility in Ontario serving more than 310,000 customers in the City of Ottawa and the Village of Casselman. Energy Ottawa Inc., Ottawa’s largest producer of green power, generates renewable energy and provides commercial energy management services.