OTTAWA – May 5, 2015 – Hydro Ottawa has the privilege of being recognized for the second consecutive year as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People.
For more information about Hydro Ottawa’s 2015 selection, visit the National Capital Region’s Top Employers website at www.canadastop100.com/ottawa.
- Hydro Ottawa partners with Algonquin College to provide training to students enrolled in the two-year powerline technician diploma program.
- Hydro Ottawa offers in-house apprenticeship programs for powerline maintainers, cable jointers, station electricians, meter technicians, and system operators. It also manages an engineer intern training and development program.
- In 2014, Hydro Ottawa hired 61 students, growing its workforce by nine per cent.
- Hydro Ottawa delivers The Student Apprentice – a half-day program that offers students an opportunity to present “value-added” ideas to the organization.
- Hydro Ottawa believes in capturing the imagination of young workers while they’re still considering career options. Hydro Ottawa welcomed students at Take Your Kids to Work day and at local career fairs.
- Giving back to the community is an important part of Hydro Ottawa’s corporate culture. Employees are encouraged to take part in its annual United Way Ottawa Workplace campaign and volunteer at events such as Special Needs Day at the Capital Fair and Christie Lake Kids STAR Cup.
“With over 40 percent of our workforce set to retire within ten years, Hydro Ottawa is eagerly working to attract younger workers. These programs are designed to create meaningful experiences, helping young people to contribute to the organization and our community early in their careers.”
– Bryce Conrad, President and CEO
Manager, Media and Public Affairs
Tel: 613-738-5499 ext. 345